Sunday, July 5, 2009

Ultra Marathon training week in review: Week 6

This week was a pretty good running week. My energy was up, the running was fast. It rained pretty much all week, but that didn't stop my 2 milers done outside during my lunch. In fact, it made them all the more fun! One particular day (Tuesday maybe?) it was just a complete downpour. It may have seemed crazy to some, but going out in that rain was one of the best things ever! And I can happily say I was not the only crazy person out there. As I ran I spotted another runner on the other side of the street. As we passed each other, we both had some pretty goofy grins on our face and let out a little chuckle.

This weekend's trail run was a bit adventurous. I had to start before the sun came up, due to the fact that we were going out of town later in the day. My 16 mile trail run started by 5:15. It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes. I was trying to run very very carefully until the sun came up. I had a flashlight, but it didn't do me a whole lot of good. Despite all the darkness, I can happily say I did not plow through any horse dung during my run! At around 6:30 I ran back to my car to grab a quick drink of water and put my useless flashlight away. Another runner pulled up. "And I thought I was here early!" He yelled to me. After a brief conversation he told me he was training for a 50k as well, one in P.A. that is going to be held in September. After wishing each other well, we split up and continued on with our runs.

The trails at the park I was running at are very hilly. At the top of one particularly grueling hill, a mountain biker was resting. We greeted each other, and I continued on. The whole time I was wondering - so when is this guy going to pass me? I thought for sure that at any minute he would come screaming by, scaring the crap out of me! But, I got to the trailhead at the other side of the park and he had still not passed me. Turning around at the trailhead, I pushed on. Eventually the other runner and I crossed paths again. We wound up running together talking about what else? RUNNING! This runner (Joel) had a lot of knowledge and I am glad I had this opportunity. He has run 125 marathons and ultra marathons. He was in his 60's and did his first 50 miler at age 45. It seems like we talked about everything in the short amount of time we ran together. Hills, speed, family, pedicures, paper towels being better than tp for runners (no joke!). Yeah, Saturday was a good trail run. I won't get many more trail runs in this month (if any). July is hell month in terms of activities. Fun ones, but a killer on training. I am so glad that this run was a great one.

Here's the breakdown for the week:

Monday: 9 miles/treadmill 100 situps 1 round with the weights(a.m.) 2.2 miles/outside (lunch)
Tuesday: 10 miles/treadmill 100 situps 1 round with the weights(a.m.) 2.2 miles/outside (lunch)
Wednesday: 9 miles/treadmill 100 situps 1 round with the weights(a.m.) 2.2 miles/outside (lunch)
Thursday: 11 miles/treadmill 100 situps 1 round with the weights(a.m.) 2.2 miles/outside (lunch)
Friday: 10 miles/treadmill 100 situps 1 round with the weights(a.m.)
Saturday: 16 mile long run on trails

No comments:

Post a Comment