Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ray Zahab, my new coach! NERC Banquet, and Boston Marathon Training Week in Review: Week 6

Excitement this week as I now have a running coach for the Mohican 50 miler! I can't believe my good fortune as Ray has agreed to take me on for training, as he only has time to train a few runners each year now. I'm so fortunate for this opportunity, and this will only make me work that much harder! I'm pumped to get ready for training! Coaching will be done via phone/net. This is my first running coach I will ever have, and can't believe I am so lucky! (translation - I know nothing about running.) All this works out perfectly since I'll be ditching the treadmill in a couple weeks. I still can't believe it! I'm still in shock! Now I have to REALLY bring it to Mohican! Ray is wideley known for his run across the the Sahara desert: 111 40 – 50 mile days of running in extreme desert conditions through six countries. The run was documented in the film Running the Sahara - directed by James Moll and produced and narrated by Matt Damon.

http://www.runningthesahara.com/runningthesahara.com/.

He is also the founder of Impossible2Possible http://www.impossible2possible.com/?v=home

From the i2P Site:
The mission of impossible2Possible(i2P) is to encourage youth to reach beyond their perceived limits, and to use adventure as a medium to educate, inspire and empower our global community to make positive change in the world. i2P aims to equip today's youth with the understanding and belief that they have the power to change the world. We envision a world of achievers that believe in their hearts that nothing is out of the realm of possibility.

The vision of impossible2Possible (i2P) is to use adventure to cultivate a generation of leaders, whose direct experiences and education will prepare them to lead social and environmental action all across the world. To achieve this, i2P utilizes a combination of world-class expeditions, youth expeditions, leadership training and fully interactive web based educational resource material. adventure-learning trips that expose young leaders directly to issues impacting human and environmental sustainability worldwide. Our leadership training program equips young adventurers to become ambassadors of sustainability through public speaking, peer-to-peer education, and leadership of service projects. In addition, i2P will host high-profile education based i2P adventures in environmentally and socially sensitive regions.-->As with founder, Ray Zahab’s, run across the Sahara Desert, all i2P expeditions will make use of television, film, and the internet to broadcast these messages about human and environmental sustainability and to raise awareness and funds for our youth programs.

Ray will be headed out soon for the Siberian Express for Water

Siberia Express website:
http://impossible2possible.com/siberia/?s=home

They just got their sleds, so things are moving right along! You can follow the team's journey on the Siberian Express website - and schools can make it part of their curriculum.
Pic from the Siberian Express site:




This is one of the sleds Ray and Kevin Vallely will use on their journey.


So all this being said, Please donate to i2P at
http://http://www.impossible2possible.com/?v=support2possible.com/?v=support

They have shirts available for purchase using this link as well.









I can't say enough how fortunate I am. Training is going to be HARD and FUN! I can't wait to get started!

Week in Review:
Monday - 15 miles, weights
Tuesday - 8 miles, weights
Wednesday - 8 miles
Thursday - 15 miles, weights
Friday - 16 miles
Saturday - 10.76 with the NERC. Feeling slow, tired as I haven't taken a rest day in about 2 weeks.
Sunday - We were supposed to be headed off to a Familiarization Run for the Run with Your Heart Trail race, however my hubby's knee is hurting. Today has turned into a rest day for us )which it should be anyway-so it's cool. Jammies and movies today.

Northeast Running Club Banquet:


The NERC annual banquet was held last night and was, what else? Awesome! The food was great and the people were better. I forgot to bring my camera, in my mad dash to try to get things done yesterday. However - I do have some incriminating photos taken with my cell:




Jeannette!









Arnie!





Edie!











Mark!










Jean! Ok, seriously though Jean is my idol. She is at every race in the area year after year. I admire her strength and love for running. At many times she is the only one in her age group (70+) She's a machine! I clap the loudest for her when she gets her awards, I love it!

One last note to everyone - please let me know if you're planning on running in the Cleveland marathon/Half marathon. I'd like to set up a meeting place before the race and do something afterwards as well. I know there are many people going - I don't want to leave anyone out. Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. Im so excited for all your up coming endeavors!Id like to do Mohican to but will probably let my sister do it. As soon as Sandi can, we will come to some NERC runs. And count me in for Cleveland :)

    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thanks Rachel, I can't wait til you come out to the runs! And soon as I can figure out logistics, I send you info on Cleveland!

    ReplyDelete