Saturday, January 9, 2010

Boston marathon training week in review: Week 4

So I have begun weaning myself from my long runs. I still ran an awful lot this week, but did start to make cuts. Back to weight lifting as well. Next week will get even lower mileage and more cross training. I have to wonder if I'm doing the right thing though. Less miles just doesn't feel right.

Today proved to be an adventurous day. I ran 13 fast miles on the treadmill (nearly falling off of it due to uncontrollable laughter while watching the George Lopez show). My family and I then headed out for the NERC's West Woods trail fun run. This was an amazing fun run put on by Guy Gadonski. This event was free, and well planned. I would have actually PAID to do this one. My family and I got there late since my husband was just getting off third shift and didn't get home until 7:15. (The run started in Newbury at 8:00!) No matter though, as we weren't planning on running the whole distance since our son was going. The plan was to run just 2 or 3 miles - depending on how my son was feeling. (This is the reason for my longer run before heading out to the fun run) Our run did not turn out to be 2 or 3 miles. As we were running, we passed the main group of runners and thought they were headed back "home" to the pavilion. We turned around to follow - and then...trouble! I think the group split up at some point - some continued running for longer, and some meant to head back. However those of us that meant to head back did get a bit off course. Made a wrong turn somewhere. I'm not even sure where. My son insists he knew they way back - telling me only after we got home! I believe that he actually did, as he is not as directionally challenged as I am. I told him for next time, please PLEASE speak up! Voice your opinion man! Just because we are older, does not necessarily mean we are smarter!





Back to the run: We got tired fast, as the snow was very deep. Guy and his group did a good job packing the snow with snowshoes and making a good path, but it was still hard going. I'm not sure how far we wound up going (didn't turn on the Garmin - another mistake!) but we were whipped when we were finished. We wound up running for an hour. Despite all this, we did take the time to soak in the unimaginable beauty of the snow covered trails. I brought my camera, as I expected the run to be slow going and knew there would be opportunities for pics. I'm so glad I did, however pictures don't do it justice at all. There are no words for the beauty of the snow sitting on the tree branches, or the sound of the snow crunching underneath your feet. There were a few errors during this run on our part, but in the end it was all worth it. We were so lucky to experience the beauty of this park (West Woods, Geauga County). My son was particularly fond of the food at the end. As soon as he saw the shelter a huge grin appeared on his face, for he knew there was food there. And lots of it! Guy and his team brought many goodies to eat! They brought/made omelets, cookies, hot chocolate and coffee, potatoes, and other various items that runners brought. Our contribution: Bagels, cream cheese, and peanut butter.
This was such a fantastically organized event. Kudos to Guy for a great run! It had to have been an awful lot of work. For us the rest of the day was spent recovering in sweats, curled up
with some hot cocoa and blankets, watching movies on the couch. Tomorrow: Sledding!






Week in review and Recipes that work below:

Week in review:
Monday: 10 miles, treadmill
Tuesday: 15 miles, treadmill
Wednesday: 16 miles, treadmill
Thursday: 16 miles, treadmill
Friday: 8 miles, treadmill
Saturday: 13 miles, treadmill and ?? miles NERC Trail fun run

Recipes that work:
It's been a couple weeks, but back to the recipes! Our fave for the week is Greek God Pasta.
Greek God Pasta
Ingredients:
1 160z package of whole wheat rotini
1 16 0z can diced tomatoes, drained
2 tablespoons of chopped green pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
3 cups tomato sauce
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup sliced black olives
1/2 cup lowfat shredded mozzarella cheese
2 tablespoons crumbled feta cheese
Hot banana peppers to taste
Garlic to taste
Red pepper flakes to taste
Black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Cook pasta according to directions
3. Pour pasta into casserole dish
4. Mix remaining ingredients except cheeses. Pour on noodles, mix
5. Sprinkle cheeses over top
6. Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment