Tuesday, July 20, 2010

BT50k, Johnnycake Jog, and on to the North Coast 24 hour!


My first one. I am feeling great now that didn't run it though. Stupid me should have thought. I have this super intelligent guy helping me, all I had to do was ask. But I waited. Thought I was superwoman or something. Thought that I could come out of a 50 miler running the same speed I ran going into it and also feeling 100%. LOL. SERIOUSLY. It wasn't until Wednesday that I asked Ray if running the BT50k was a good idea, considering NC24 training. He said, strong as can be: "Abosolutely not. I do not think it's a good idea". WHOA! That's all I needed to hear to throw in the towel on this one. Heck BT50k wasn't going to be a serious race for me anyway, just a fun thing so nuff said. I did feel bad I was going to miss running with some great people though! Running task for the rest of the week - was to run randomly. Whatever I felt - "Run with the family" Ray said. My family had some tapering going on so I took a couple days off and ran solo on Saturday while they had an off day. The run was slow - purposely, and it felt great! It was the first time since Mo that I actually noticed things again. Birds, squirrels, the way the sun was rising over an open field. Sounds corny, but it's true! It did a lot for me, mentally speaking. Since Mo I had been struggling and had not had a single enjoyable run. I had even started using my headphones again, something I didn't do at all during Boston or Mo training. I was doing it so I wouldn't have to pay attention to how I was struggling through each run. That is a big no no. I had really come to enjoy not using headphones during runs, being so in tune with everything, the way I was feeling, my surroundings, etc. and now I was trying to forget it all by turning on my music, "Disturbed" full blast. I hated the reason why I was using my music. So, Saturday was a treat. A nice, easy treat. I smiled a lot during the run (FINALLY!) I only looked at my watch a couple of times. 6 miles, 8:15/mile. I then came home and cross trained for one hour. Sunday I logged 14 miles early a.m. on the treadmill and felt good again. I then decided to run alongside my son in the Johnnycake Jog 5 miler, I was worried about him running in the heat. This whole "taking it easy" really seemed to work for me! (And not racing in 2 big races has now given me the racing bug, which I will not satisfy until NC24! I feel like exploding!) I'm so glad this rest has worked out and am completely pumped that week one of NC24 training started today! I went into my run this afternoon completely refreshed, excited, and ready to go! I LOVE IT! Thanks Ray! And hey - speaking of Ray don't forget Impossible2Possible has many exciting things coming up, including their expedition to the Amazon!

Check it out at:


School registration is now open!

And don't forget about the I2P pizza party at my house, August 7th for kids!


If anyone's interested in speaking at the event please let me know :-)


As I mentioned above, I did what I needed to Saturday a.m. and then it was time to turn on the webcast to the BT50k! It was so neat seeing the webcast, finally watching one where there were people that I knew who were running. This kind of made it worse at the same time though! I wanted to BE there. Never mind that I wasn't running, I still wanted to be there to support everyone and cheer them on! I was quite literally pacing back and forth, just wishing I was there. My husband came home from working third shift and told me he was going golfing before he went to sleep for a few hours - and that's all I needed to hear - I WAS OUT! My son and I drove the one hour drive to the CVNP and made it with a little under an hour to spare before the first finishers crossed the line. My plan was to take pictures if no one needed my help, but Vince from Vertical Runner snagged me and gave me the best volunteer job ever! Giving out the medals! My son and Steve's son had fun talking together until it was time to leave, and then he helped a bit with the medals as well, when runners started coming in one after another. The first man to cross the finish line was Kam, in I believe 4 hours and 3 minutes. Shaun Pope came in close at second place, followed by Mark Godale. On the women's side, Beth Woodward amazed me when she came in at 4 hours, 30 some minutes - not looking tired at all! She looked as if she just ran a 5k - not 50! It was amazing, and not an ounce of fat on her. AT ALL. (Mental note, don't sign up for any races Beth will be running!! LOL!!) Second place female was Shanna Ailes, and third went to Star Blackford. After that it got a little hard watching runners come in. Most looked exhausted, it was hot, it was humid, and you could tell. I held off a couple seconds after runners crossed the finish line before I gave them there medal. I didn't want to shove a medal in their face when they felt like collapsing, puking, drinking, or just wanting to lay down. Many of the runners ran straight through the finish line to a shaded area underneath a tree nearby. I'm happy to report though, that many of my girlies did well! Terri Lemke received first for women's masters divison, Rachel Nypaver won first for her age group, on the men's side Ron Ross got first for his age group and Niall Corrigan got 2nd for his age group (and ran the Presque Isle 1/2 marathon the next day!) My buds Joe, Carole, Mark, Bob, and Brian toughed out the nasty heat and humidity and came across the finish line smiling! When Mark came through it was time for my son and I to leave, unfortunately. I wanted to stay the whole time, see everyone finish but my husband was waking up soon, so we made the drive back to Pvlle. HUGE KUDOS to Vertical Runner, Vince, Steve, Joe, Lloyd, and to Chaney Events for putting on a great run. I heard no complaints whatsoever. Way to go guys! (Plug - Vertical Runner is the best running shop EVER!!!!) And Congrats to all the runners who pushed through, battled their own demons and NEVER GAVE UP through some nasty running conditions. You are all so inspiring!

Johnnycake Jog

It was another hot one! My husband and son ran in the jog along with many of my Northeast Running Club friends.

I was worried about my son so I ran alongside him, carrying his water, dumping water on his head and eventually carrying his sweaty shirt. Gross! We got there, met my husband's Lincoln Electric running friends and headed over to the NERC tent. I dropped off some homemade energy bars for people to try (recipe courtesy of Wayne Kurtz - www.racetwitch.com) and we hung out for awhile. Guy, Geoff, Kevin, Nick, Kevin, Carl, Carole and others hung around for awhile - then some of us split up to do a quick jog before "The Jog". I was a little bummed I wasn't racing this one, as I have done this one for many years, but knew it was for the best. The race got going and yeah, thanks to construction was very crowded for the first mile. My husband took off at a blistering pace (a family problem) and my son and I ran as mid packers, both passing some and getting passed by others. Then comes the Mentor Ave. stretch. I warned my son this stretch would mess with his mind. We got to Dunkin Donuts/Kohl's and he said "OHMYGOD we are only HERE!" I let him know we were over half way done, and this straight stretch was just messing with his lil' nugget. The shirt came off. He was struggling a bit and cramping up, so he stopped twice to walk for a few seconds. He had hoped to finish in under 50 minutes, and he came in at 48 minutes, 22 seconds! My husband had a great run and finished in 35 minutes, 14 seconds. Running friends of mine to take top spots in their age group were Erin Gaugler (2nd, women 35-39), Cathy Johnson (2nd, women 50-54), Jeannie Rice (1st, women 60-64), and Jean Toth (1st, women 70-74). The overall male and female winners were Ryan Kienzle and Jessica Odorcic (with Jessica winning her 4th Jog title). BIG Congrats to all the runners who battled the heat and toughed it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment