Tuesday, June 1, 2010

No Frills, Just Hills Fat Ass Report and Mo training weeks 15 & 16


There are now 19 days until my first 50 miler and I'm starting to get pretty excited! The last two weeks were complete opposites (physically and mentally speaking). Week 15 just plain sucked and had me completely in the dumps, and week 16 was amazing and a great confidence builder! This coming week will be my hardest yet since Ray has been helping me. I talked with him last night for the first time in a couple weeks, since he has been busy being so extraordinary and trying to save the world! The weekday mileage isn't so bad, 9.4 miles Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday - but the weekend mileage = YIKES!! I have to run 24 miles on Saturday and 24 miles on Sunday. And somehow I have to fit the Lake Health Distance Classic into my training! I'm not sure how I'll do that, but I'm leaning towards starting my run early Sunday before the Lake Health 1/2 marathon starts and running about 11 miles until the start of the race. I will then finish my big mileage weekend with the race. Which, well - obviously will not be a race for me. I'm a little bummed because I wanted to be competitive for this one, but not this time. I thought this week might start my taper, but no!!! ACK!! I'll just run this one and be everyone's cheerleader along the way. My husband is running this one as well, and my son will be volunteering. Friday we'll be going to the race director's house to put the goodie bags together. I was hoping to help with packet pick up on Saturday but I don't think I'll be able to fit that in now. On one hand I'm excited to finally have a high mileage week, but on the other hand it's not a good week to have it! There's not much I can do about this though as my ultimate goal is to finish Mo' and it is coming up so fast! I'll just have to wait until next year to rock it out at the Lake 1/2. That's ultra life I guess! Anyway I'm excited that I'll be able to see my NERC besties and celebrate with them at the awards ceremony which will be held at Panini's. P-A-R-T-Y!!!

Mo' Training Week In Review: Week 15

What a downer of a week this one was! Turns out what I was running with the weekend before was bronchitis! This called for bare bones running - 30 mins a day ez during the week. I did do back to back longer runs on the weekend and ended with a 16 miler on Sunday with my husband. I truly thought I would die! At only 16 miles! UGH!!! I was bummed and completely freaked out. Mo confidence was at an all time low. I felt like crap!

Mo' Training Week In Review: Week 16

After having Monday off from running I was starting to feel better. I decided it was time to redeem myself from my garbage week 15.

Tuesday = 3 runs. a.m. Treadmill 5k EZ - After work: fast 5k trail- p.m. hill work with family

Wednesday = 2 runs. a.m. 5k ez treadmill - p.m. 3 miles of speed work

Thursday = a.m. treadmill 6 miles

Friday = off

Saturday = No Frills, Just Hills F/A = 30+ miles Official laps = 14, and I ran 1 extra for a total of 15.

Sunday = 1/2 marathon (Lake Health course) with way cool runner chick Jeanette and hubby
*I'm so glad we decided to run the 1/2 course before the race! It is definitely a race you need to have some sort of strategy for. This course is no joke. Hills, hills, hills. 'Nuff said. That being said I'm so glad my husband and Jeanette ran with me. They were awesome company and we all suffered together!! LOL!!

No Frills, Just Hills Fat Ass Report
(pics taken by Dan, Beth, and Julie)

This even was put on by Brian Musick of the NEO trail club. The goal of this F/A (Fat Ass) run was to see how many loops you can run in 6 hrs. This was a 2 mile loop on trails: around and around and around (you get the point) for 6 hours. I'm not sure how I got to the point where I would call something like that FUN, but it was just that! I saw old friends and made new ones along the way. (We certainly had the time!) I can't wait until next year's No Frills!

The run started at 8 a.m. but Beth Tresaca, Brian Perusek, and myself all started at 7 a.m. so we could finish early.


We spent most of the time trying to figure out where to go as none of us knew the course. We started a bit past 7 and by 8 we only logged 3.85 miles, but it was so fun! Starting out first thing we saw a deer. Well, no - first thing we saw was the biggest hill EVER and THEN we saw the deer!










Next up, squish, squish, squish! our shoes and socks were so wet from running through the wet grass. Hey they dried out eventually! No biggie! Then we had fun getting a little lost. (I told you we would, Beth! My speciality!) Luckily we made it back to the start of the run a little before 8 and saw tons of familiar faces. There was Brian Musick, Dan DeRosha, Mark Anson, Mike Keller, Terri Lemke, Kimberly Boner, Jim Christ - should I go on? Just lots of people OK!

Soon we were all off on our mini adventure. Our socks dried out and the heat set in. I have never drank so much water in my entire life!




I drank at least 6 liters of water during the run, more water after, and still lost 6 lbs. Sections of the run were spent in the hot sun. Running in the woods was nice and refreshing, but as soon as we hit the open areas: BAM! It was like a brick wall! You could just feel the sun drain your energy. However, as soon as I would hit the trees that feeling disappeared just as quickly as it came. The shade felt so good and really renewed the energy levels.

Many times there were unusual noises in the woods (I know that was you Brian!) At times I answered back :) We were also entertained to some interesting dancing courtesy of Brian and Mike at the end. This is what makes ultras fun! The people! I absolutely love it and had a blast! While doing loop after loop after loop we would start to see the same hikers. After passing them 2, 3, 4 times they would start to ask questions. Everything from "What are you doing?", "What's going on here, some kind of race?", to "What mile are you on now?" One guy who asked me what mile I was on just stared at me when I gave him my answer. Mile 28! Almost done! Seriously just stared and didn't say another word!

Another amazing thing about this run is that once it was all said and done I was not sore. Not one bit! I was tired of course, but I had absolutely no aches and pains. It was amazing! I can't believe it! I ran the 1/2 distance the next day, and then went kayaking the day after and still have no sore muscles! I did switch my beverage for No Frills, and am wondering if that had something to do with it? The whole time I used SmartWater (which tastes amazing, by the way). I'll definitely be using this drink again. It's the only thing I changed, so it's got to be why! Right? I hope!

The only thing that was a minor bummer about Saturday was my own personal issues with my Garmin. For one, the elevation and pace are correct - but when you look at my map it is not a map of the course but a map of my house to Hudson!! WHAT! For 2, it shut off a couple times. I had the thing locked, but apparently it can still stop while locked? News to me! UGH! So at mile 30 I just turned the thing off. I know I did a little more than that, but I'm not sure how much more. Another thing I can't quite figure out is why it shows me doing 30 miles in 5 hrs. and 54 minutes. I thought I took longer than that. I'm not even going to try and figure that one out! Sometimes I think I'd be better off without that thing driving me crazy! I have a love-hate relationship with my Garmin, but I did not let it ruin my AWESOME day!

I highly recommend this F/A to everyone. It's so much fun and the people are amazing. Mark it on your calendars as SOON as the date is set for next year people! And the best thing is, F/A's are free!!! So much fun for nothing, what could be better!

2 comments: